Regular vision check-ups are important. Eye exams are essential for good eye health and can detect vision problems before it becomes a permanent issue. How do you know when it is time for a comprehensive eye exam? Here are some of the symptoms and signs you should be aware of.
How Often Should I Go Get My Eyes Examined?
Several factors determine when you may need to visit an optometrist. These factors include:
- Your age
- Your health status
- Whether you risk eye problems or have symptoms of eye disease
Adults, in general, need to visit an eye doctor by the age of 40. This is the recommendation by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Eye care professionals can pick up any eye issues that are likely to develop with the exam and then recommend future exams if required.
Children over the age of 3 and adolescents should have their eyes checked before kindergarten. At the exam, the eye doctor will then let you know when more visits are needed. Children over 3 years will probably require an eye exam around 3-5 years. A pediatrician will advise you on more information regarding your child’s eye health. If the pediatrician picks up on certain conditions such as nearsightedness, or alignment issues, he may recommend more regular exams or treatments.
Signs That Mean You Have To Get Your Eyes Checked
There are some signs and symptoms that may require you to get your eyes checked more frequently (or immediately!). These include:
- If you are 60 years old or older
- If you wear glasses or contact lenses to check if they are sufficient for your vision
- If you have a history of eye conditions or your family has a history of eye disease
- Whether you have any eye conditions such as diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma, or macular degeneration, among others.
- If you take medications that are affecting your eyesight or can cause eye issues due to side effects.
How To Prepare Before Your Eye Exam
- Get adequate rest the night beforehand
- Try to avoid caffeine or alcohol
- Bring your glasses, contacts, sunglasses
- Have your medications on standby for the eye doctor
- If you are having your pupils dilated, ask someone to drive you home beforehand as this may cause vision issues
Don’t wait until it’s too late – call 3 for 1 Glasses in Hamilton to book an eye exam today!